Sports

Wimbledon: Rafael Nadal apologizes after harsh exchange with Lorenzo Sonego | Tennis News


LONDON: Rafael Nadal sorry for being defeated Wimbledon protest Lorenzo Sonego after a challenging exchange in the closing stages of their third-round clash on Saturday.
Second seed Nadal, the 2008 and 2010 champion, reached the fourth round for the 10th time with a 6-1, 6-2, 6-4 victory.
The 36-year-old asked four players to score behind his back to make the third round and is expected to be examined by Sonego, who made the fourth round last year.
However, Nadal didn’t face a break point until he served in the eighth game of the third set, his concentration likely to be affected by a stop serving on the roof of Center Court.
He quickly bounced back and sealed the victory.

However, Nadal was annoyed by the noise the Italian player made on the court.
He even summoned Sonego to the network to discuss his displeasure while the two then had another lengthy exchange as they shook hands.
“I have to say I was wrong. I shouldn’t have called him into the net. So sorry for that. My mistake in that. No problem. I realize it,” said Nadal.
“That’s something I talked to him about in the dressing room and it’s still there. Only I can say I’ve seen him with my own eyes.
“My intention is to never bother him at all. Just wanted to tell me one thing that’s bothering me that I think he’s doing in the moment, but that’s all. We have some problems. there, but that’s all.”

Nadal has won the Australian Open and French Open in 2022 and is halfway to his first men’s Grand Slam since Rod Laver achieved the feat in 1969.
“This was probably my best match here without a doubt in the championships, against the toughest player I’ve faced,” said Nadal.
“I was able to raise my level, super happy for that.”
Nadal will next face Dutch 21st seed Botic van de Zandschulp for a place in the quarterfinals.
The 26-year-old Van de Zandschulp reached the round of 16 at the All England Club for the first time with a 7-5, 2-6, 7-6 (9/7), 6-1 win over French veteran Richard Gasquet.
Nadal easily beat the Dutchman in consecutive sets on his way to his 14th French Open title last month.





Source link

news5s

News5s: Update the world's latest breaking news online of the day, breaking news, politics, society today, international mainstream news .Updated news 24/7: Entertainment, Sports...at the World everyday world. Hot news, images, video clips that are updated quickly and reliably

Related Articles

Back to top button