PAN-Aadhaar association: The deadline for PAN association with Aadhaar has been extended to 31st March 2023 with some penalties. This was announced by the Central Council of Direct Taxes (CBDT) through a notice dated March 29, 2022. The Tax Department has said that failure to align the PAN with Aadhaar before March 31 will result in penalties up to arrive 1,000, but such PAN will remain operational for another year until March 2023, for ITR filing, refund claims, and other IT procedures.
Linking PAN-Aadhaar before June 30 will cost 500
According to the circular issued by the CBDT, taxpayers link their PAN to biometrics Aadhaar before June 30, 2022, will be required to pay late fees 500.
Linking PAN-Aadhaar on or after 1st July will cost 1000
According to the circular issued by the CBDT, the associated taxpayers PAN with Aadhaar on or after 1st July they will have to pay a penalty 1,000.
How to pay the fine amount
Fees payable by Challan No ITNS 280 with Head of Division 0021 (Other Income Tax with Companies) and sub-head 500 (Fees), according to a recent tweet on the official Twitter account of the Revenue Department import
What if your PAN doesn’t work?
After March 31, 2023, the PAN of taxpayers who fail to perform their Aadhaar, as required, will not function.
When your PAN is inactive, you will be restricted from doing financial transactions where PAN citation is required like mutual funds, subject to TDS at a higher rate and penalty under section 272B
How to link PAN with Aadhaar
- Visit India’s official income tax website www.incometax.gov.in.
- Select the Link Aadhaar option in the quick links section and you will be redirected to a new window
- Enter your PAN number details, Aadhar card details, name and mobile number
- After verifying the information, select the ‘I verify my Aadhaar details’ option. Then select the ‘Continue’ option.
- On the registered mobile number you will receive a one-time password (OTP). Fill in the blanks on the screen, then click ‘Verify.’ After you pay the fine, your PAN and Aadhaar will be linked.
For those who cannot access the income tax portal, they can link the records via SMS.