World

Two Explosions Crowded Intersection on Rocks in Mogadishu


NAIROBI, Kenya – At least 35 people were injured and many more killed when two explosions rocked the Somali capital Mogadishu, authorities and an ambulance service chief said Saturday, in Latest attack on city by government made a new big attack. – scale attack to fight Al Shabab terrorist group.

The explosions on Saturday afternoon happened near the Ministry of Education, near a busy junction where many businesses and government offices are located. Videos and photos shared on social networks and on national television station shows plumes of smoke rising from the area, with great devastation to nearby buildings and bloodstained people being carried away from the scene of the attack.

Sadik Dodishe, a spokesman for the national police, said at a press conference that police were still counting casualties but that those killed included women and children. Dr Abdulkadir Abdirahman Adan, founder of Aamin Ambulance, the only free ambulance transport service in the capital, said in an interview that the service has transported 35 injured people to different hospitals. He also said one of their ambulances was destroyed and its driver was injured in a second explosion.

“It was another tough day in Mogadishu,” said Dr. Adan.

In a statement, the Somali Journalists Syndicate said one journalist was killed and two others injured as they sped to cover the twin explosions. Mohamed Isse Koonaaa local Universal TV journalist, were killed, while Feisal Omar, a Reuters photographer, and Abdukadir Mohamed Abdulle, a freelance journalist for Voice of America, were wounded.

No group has yet claimed responsibility for Saturday’s attack, but the Qaeda-linked Al Shabab group has previously carried out similar attacks in the capital. The group has especially stepped up attacks on civilian and government organizations after the newly elected Somali president, Hassan Sheikh Mohamud, announced an all-out attack on the group.

Besides drawing on Somali and African Union forces as well as receiving air support from the United States, Hassan’s government also enlisted the support of local ethnic militias to defeat Al-Qaeda. Shabab.

His government has also stepped up efforts to stifling Shabab’s financesrestrict the use of formal banking services, and strengthen legislation to tackle terrorism financing. Authorities said they had frozen or closed several accounts linked to the group and were still looking for more. They also threatened to fine businesses that pay extortion fees to Al Shabab, issue directives to restrict local media coverage of the group, and announced the suspension of some linked social media accounts. with them.

In recently liberated areas, authorities are also urging people to call the tip line to report and identify those who used to collect money on behalf of Al Shabab.

The group responded to the latest attack by ramping up attacks.

In August, it carried out one of the longest attacks in the capital, killing 21 people during a 30-hour siege of the hotel. This month, it claimed responsibility for a series of attacks in the central town of Beledweyne that left at least 20 people dead and dozens more injured. And with Somalia on the brink of famine and nearly half the population starving, authorities have also accused the group of burning food trucks and destroying wells and boreholes.

news5s

News5s: Update the world's latest breaking news online of the day, breaking news, politics, society today, international mainstream news .Updated news 24/7: Entertainment, Sports...at the World everyday world. Hot news, images, video clips that are updated quickly and reliably

Related Articles

Back to top button