World

The death of the football stadium: Indonesia will not face FIFA sanctions


Jakarta, the capital city of Indonesia –

Indonesia’s president said the country would not face sanctions from world football’s governing body after a tear gas blast inside a closed stadium caused a door to collapse. in, killing 131 people, including 17 children.

Joko Widodo said FIFA President Giani Infantino wrote in a letter to him about a potential cooperation between Indonesia and FIFA and that the country will remain the host of next year’s U-20 World Cup with the participation of 24 players. countries from five continents.

“Based on the letter, thank God, Indonesian football is not sanctioned by FIFA,” Widodo said in a video posted on the presidential office’s YouTube channel late Friday.

In its security protocols, FIFA advises against the use of tear gas in or around stadiums and recommends keeping exit gates unlocked during matches. While those rules are considered safety standards, they do not apply to domestic or national tournaments and FIFA has no authority over how local authorities and police control crowds.

Widodo toured the Kanjuruhan football stadium in Malang City on Wednesday and said that several locked gates contributed to the disaster following the match between hosts Arema FC and Persebaya Surabaya on October 1. The national sheriff on Thursday said the stadium did not have a proper operating certificate and criminal charges would be filed against six people, including three police officers.

Indonesia’s national football association, known locally as PSSI, has long struggled to manage the game in the country.

Winning the right to host the Under-20 World Cup next year is a major milestone in Indonesia’s football development, stoking hopes that a successful tournament will solve long-standing problems for the sport. sport in a country of more than 277 million people.

However, the fatal blow is now a tragic reminder that Indonesia is one of the most dangerous countries to attend a match.

Since last week, the domestic league has been suspended. Widodo has ordered the sports minister, the national police chief and the football federation to conduct a thorough investigation into the deadly stadium collapse.

He said on Friday that the Indonesian government had agreed to take cooperative measures with FIFA and the Asian Football Confederation to improve stadium safety in order to prevent another tragedy.

“FIFA, together with the government will form a transition group for Indonesian football,” Widodo said, adding that Infantino would also visit Indonesia in the near future.

He said that FIFA will be based in Indonesia in the process to improve safety standards at all football stadiums across the country, building security protocols and procedures for the police based on international standards, soliciting feedback from Indonesian football clubs and fans, prescribing a season-by-season schedule based on risk-based considerations as well as involving experts from various various fields for consultation.

news5s

News5s: Update the world's latest breaking news online of the day, breaking news, politics, society today, international mainstream news .Updated news 24/7: Entertainment, Sports...at the World everyday world. Hot news, images, video clips that are updated quickly and reliably

Related Articles

Back to top button