The family of a 40-year-old man accused of child molestation in relation to an Edmonton teenager released a statement Tuesday.
In an email to Global News, Noah Madrano’s sister on behalf of his family shared a comment:
“There are no words we can say to ease the pain that the young victim and her family have endured.
“If such words existed, we would offer them with all the sadness and anguish that fills our hearts.
“Our greatest hope is that this young person and their family can heal, through a combination of time, support and love.
“We love Noah unconditionally, including loving him even in unimaginable acts. Our love does not mean that we tolerate, excuse or minimize these behaviors – vehemently, we do not.
“There is no reason to harm a child. We ask that our privacy be respected so that we can begin to process these events.”
Oregon man arrested for luring children, when missing girl reunited with family
Teenager Edmonton was last seen on Friday, June 24, at around 8:30 a.m. in the area of 131 Avenue and 91st Street, next to Killarney Middle School.
Edmonton police said she was found in Oregon on the morning of July 2 and a man was arrested for soliciting children.
Police believe the two met online.
According to the Clackamas County District Attorney’s office in Oregon City, Madrano “was arrested through a joint effort of the Oregon City Police Department and the Federal Bureau of Investigation on July 2, 2022 in Oregon City.
“The alleged victim was also with Mr. Madrano.”
Chris Owen, deputy district attorney, said Madrano is being held at the Clackamas County Jail and was placed in custody Tuesday afternoon.
He will appear in court “on a felony charge of kidnapping in the second degree, rape in the second degree and sexual abuse in the first degree.
“We understand that the federal government will also initiate charges. Going forward, we will work with our federal partners to determine the proper course of this prosecution,” Owen added.
During Madrano’s virtual court appearance, prosecutors asked for bail of $500,000 and related a pre-trial communication ban with 13-year-old Edmonton and all minors.
Prosecutors said they made those requests due to aggravating circumstances that the defendant allegedly targeted the girl when she was 12 years old and allegedly “raped” her over the course of a year. Lawyers said he allegedly went to Canada to kidnap her. They said he also allegedly threatened to kill her.
The judge approved those requests and set bail at $500,000 and established a communication restraining order.
Even if Madrano is able to apply for bail, he cannot be released because of a federal restraining order (FBI).
Madrano still didn’t have an attorney on Tuesday night.
On July 12, he is scheduled to appear in court next to arrange the indictment.
Several organizations are part of the investigation, including ALERT (Alberta Law Enforcement Response Team), Northern Alberta Internet Child Exploitation Unit, Oregon City Police and the FBI.
Supporting awareness of stress apps after missing 13-year-old Edmonton was found alive in the US
The girl’s father spoke to Global News by phone on Tuesday afternoon.
“She was at home and safe,” he said of his 13-year-old daughter. “People need to realize that she has a long road ahead of her. She certainly doesn’t come out of this unscathed state but we’re using it day by day. We surrounded her with friends and family and were just trying to help her through.”
He said the support from the community over the past week and a half has been incredible and has lifted them up during their darkest hours.
The girl’s father said the family was at the airport within an hour of learning she had been found. After many delays and cancellations, they arrived in Oregon and reunited.
“Unbelievable. She was very emotional. So are we,” he said. “That hug was amazing. It’s necessary. “
The whole family returned home together on Monday.
“She really went back to kids mode,” he said. “She is 13 years old, but as a parent you always see the child in your child. She really needs her family right now.”
Cases of child seduction and online scaling have spiked since the start of the pandemic
The father said he will closely monitor the case.
“We want him to stay in prison for as long as possible,” he said. “As the trial goes on, we’ll be very aggressive and make sure we’re present at all the hearings and push for the longest possible sentence.”
He also has a message for other parents:
“Don’t let them let their guard down on internet usage. Always watch (your) children. This is something we didn’t expect. We have all the parental controls imaginable.
“Somehow they will find access and there are (there are) predators out there waiting for our children… The internet is a scary place.”
© 2022 Global News, a division of Corus Entertainment Inc.