President Volodymyr Zelensky on Sunday said Russia was responsible for power cuts across eastern Ukraine, accusing Moscow of deliberately hitting civilian infrastructure.
Zelensky blamed “Russian terrorists” for “the total blackout in the Kharkiv and Donetsk regions, partly in the Zaporizhzhia, Dnipropetrovsk and Sumy regions”.
“There are no military facilities,” he said in a statement on social media. “The purpose is to deprive people of light and heat.”
The blackout affected areas with an estimated total population of 9 million – including territory controlled by Russia.
They come as Ukrainian forces claim to have recaptured dozens of towns and villages in eastern Ukraine.
Officials in the Sumy, Dnipropetrovsk and Poltava regions said shortly after the power cut announced that power had been restored.
The Russian attacks also disrupted railway lines, with the national train service reporting delays across the east, including in the country’s second-largest city, Kharkiv.
A senior aide to the President of Ukraine Mykhaylo Podolyak said that among the attacked facilities was the Kharkiv CHPP-5 power station.
Footage distributed from an attack in Kharkiv by Kyrylo Tymoshenko during the Ukrainian presidential administration shows a fire at an industrial park, with emergency services at the scene.
Ukraine’s Foreign Ministry spokesman Oleg Nikolenko said the Russian attacks were an “act of desperation following Russia’s huge losses and withdrawal in eastern Ukraine.”
(Except for the title, this story has not been edited by NDTV staff and is published from a collaborative feed.)