Humble Games and Bound Box Software have announced that their longstanding, blood-sucking shooter Prodeus will be leaving Early Access next week. and to the Switch.
On September 23, you’ll be able to load up your weapons and dress up in this gorgeous retro shooter that combines stunning pixel art, old-fashioned rendering, and modern 3D technology. Created by Michael Voeller and Jason Mojica, who have a total of 25 years of experience in the FPS genre and with music by Andrew Hulsh (composer on DOOM Eternal: Ancient Gods, Sunsetand In the midst of evil), this is like the repulsive shooter we’ve been waiting for.
Prodeus has been in Early Access for almost two years, and in that time the game has been extremely well received by fans. And while the console versions won’t be able to create their own levels, they can still play the game in four-player co-op or take part in a 16-player Deathmatch.
Here’s what you need to know about the game from publisher Humble Games:
Prodeus is an old first-person shooter, re-imagined using modern rendering technology and techniques. Experience the quality you’d expect from a modern AAA game, designed with classic aesthetics and gameplay in mind that brings the limits imposed by technology on older hardware.
The game features a handcrafted campaign from industry FPS veterans, competitive co-op and multiplayer on classic modes, a fully integrated level editor* and Built-in community map browser for instant action with almost limitless levels to play.
Ready to paint the wall red. This is the Boomer Shooter you’ve been waiting for.
1. RETRO LOOK, MODERN ERA – Shooters of the past and present collide with graphics that combine today’s high-quality 3D technology with classic visuals. Experience the ultimate explosion of lo-fi pixels and high-tech particle effects as you clash with the Prodigies and the forces of Chaos.
2. PURE RETRO FPS CHAOS – Train yourself for fast and frantic non-stop action. Boom and shine your way through hordes of chaotic creatures using an over-the-top vintage arsenal.
3. RED RAIN – Blast the steel walls and alien halls with the blood of your enemies. Experience the gory thrills of high-end shooters, dialed up to 11 thanks to Prodeus’ exciting amnesia division system.
4. COMMUNITY LEVEL – Unleash your inner map designer with Prodeus’ powerful yet easy-to-use level editor* and keep the visceral battle fresh with the built-in browser filled with community-made maps create.
5. MULTI-FUNCTIONAL MAYHEM – Team up and face off in multiplayer modes. Go campaign in 4-player co-op and join the fray in 16-player Deathmatch, Team Deathmatch, CTF, and more – then take things to the next level by creating and sharing custom game modes .
6. FRAG INTO MUSIC – Explode your blood vessels while listening to the supercharged metal soundtrack by classic FPS composer Andrew Hulshult (DOOM Eternal: The Ancient Gods, Dusk, Amid Evil) that automatically shifts gears to accompany your actions.
* Only available on PC version
You only have to wait a week until you can use Prodeus, as the game launches September 23 on Switch, PlayStation 4 and 5, Xbox One and Series X | S and PC. And it will also be on Game Pass on launch day!
What do you think of Prodeus’ looks? Will you catch this next week? Let us know!