The Kremlin said it has not set an end date for President Vladimir Putin’s partial mobilization, although as many as 40 regions have completed their draft quotas as of Tuesday.
According to Kremlin spokesman Dmitry Peskov, the Russian Defense Ministry sets quotas for each area that needs to be completed.
However, the completion of quotas in these regions does not mean that mobilization has ended. It can only end with a presidential decree.
“There is no such decision on the end of the deployment,” Peskov said when asked about it, adding that “there can be no question” about surpassing the target number of 300,000 troops. in accordance with the current ordinance”.
On Monday, Moscow mayor Sergei Sobyanin announced the completion of the quota in the Russian capital.
But Russian human rights group Agora says Sobyanin’s statement does not mean the partial mobilization is over.
“As long as the partial fundraising is not completed by the official that announced it, its legitimacy is upheld. That is, you need to wait for the presidential decree,” Russian human rights lawyer Pavel Chikov said on Telegram.
Putin defended the partial mobilization of Russians that starting in September, told reporters on Friday that it is expected to end in two weeks. So far, about 222,000 troops out of a total of 300,000 Russians have been planned, he added.