Hockey Canada said a 2019 email detailing its desire to self-administer sports safety cases does not reflect the organization’s current direction.
The National League, which has been under intense scrutiny since news of a sexual assault in 2018 and the subsequent secret payment, broken in May, responded with a lengthy email. three pages sent to the Sports Minister’s office.
In an email obtained by The Canadian Press, Hockey Canada brags about its “second to none” safe sports regulation but raised concerns with third-party investigators or a toll-free reporting line.
Hockey Canada tells Feds it can manage safe sports cases on its own, boasts reserves
“Hockey Canada recognizes that we need to do more to promote a safe and positive environment on and off the ice,” the governing body said in a statement Wednesday. “That is why we are making significant changes to the way complaints are received and investigated. This includes creating a new independent third-party complaints process and becoming a full signatory of the Government Office of Sports Integrity. “
Sports Minister Pascale St-Onge launched the OSIC in June to carry out independent investigations into allegations of abuse and ill-treatment in sport, and has set a deadline of April 2023 for national sports organizations to sign working agreements with the new office.
1972 Summit Series: Marking 50 Years Since the Iconic Canada-Soviet Battle
Weightlifting and volleyball are the only two national sports federations signed so far, although dozens of other NSOs are in negotiations.
The three-page email signed by Glen McCurdie, who was then vice president of insurance and risk management for Hockey Canada, also details the organization’s National Equity Fund being used for unclaimed debt. insurance, including sexual abuse claims.
“Hockey Canada’s response, as part of its 2019 safe sport consultation with the Office of the Minister of Science and Sports, does not reflect our organization’s current thinking or direction on these issues. this,” Hockey Canada said in the statement. “In fact, contrary to what the (Canadian Press) letter mentioned, Hockey Canada actively participated in the government’s sports safety helpline, including engaging third-party investigators. investigate any complaints they receive.
“Through the consultation, Hockey Canada also provides information about our insurance policies regarding sexual misconduct claims. In addition, the use of the National Equity Fund is currently suspended and is being reviewed as part of an independent third-party governance review. “
Kirsty Duncan, Minister for Science and Sport from 2015 to 2019, said she did not receive the Hockey Canada email to Michael Paramathasan, a former senior policy adviser to the sports minister, when it was sent. on October 29, 2019.
The alleged sexual assault follows a 2018 gala event in London, Ont., involving eight unidentified players, including members of that year’s world youth team. Allegations of gang sexual assault involving the 2003 world youth team surfaced in July.
None of the charges were proven in court.
Hockey Canada has had its federal funding cut off for its handling of the case and settlement, while several corporations have halted dollar funding.
This report by the Canadian Press was first published on September 14, 2022.
© 2022 Canadian Press