An Ontario judge granted bail on Thursday to one of eight girls who are facing second-degree murder charges following the recent death of a homeless man in Toronto.
The bond, which comes with a range of conditions, is set at $9,500 with two guarantors. It is not clear which teenagers charged in the case have been released on bail.
Seven other defendants appeared in the juvenile trial at the Ontario Court of Justice on Thursday morning. Each will appear again in court on January 5, when another date will be set for their bail hearings, scheduled for early February.
The released teen is required to stay home except for school, not be allowed to carry any weapons and not be associated with other accused youth or contact the victim’s girlfriend.
She is also required to hand over her passport, is not allowed to travel outside the province, is prohibited from owning a mobile phone and is not allowed to access the internet except for the purpose of studying.
Judge Maria Sirivar said she would provide the reasons for the bail decision on January 10.
Youth accused of assault, stabbing to death
Toronto police say three 13-year-olds, three 14-year-olds and two 16-year-olds allegedly stabbed a man after “swallowing” him downtown on December 18.
The defendant’s identity cannot be released under the Youth Criminal Justice Act. Toronto police said three of the girls had been in contact with police.
Police said the 59-year-old man was taken to hospital by paramedics with life-threatening injuries and died a short time later.
Police said the victim moved into Toronto’s homeless shelter system in late fall and was supported by a family system.
A witness told CBC Toronto that moments before the man was stabbed, the girls tried to get her alcohol and the victim defended her.
Toronto police said they are not disclosing the identity of the victim at this time.