Albuquerque Suspect Muhammad Atif Syed Previously Arrested for Battery, Domestic Violence

Suspect accused of killing two Muslim men in Albuquerque this summer — and is believed to have killed two more people since November — was known to police and there have been several domestic violence arrests, court records revealed by The Daily Beast revealed.

However, despite the disturbing allegations against Muhammad Syed, 51, his wife and daughter told a local TV station, KRQE, they believe he is innocent. “I believe they will free my father,” his daughter Lubna said. “He didn’t do anything.” However, the couple said that the family knew three of the four men were killed.

Syed is accused of killing Aftab Hussein, 41, on July 26, and Muhammad Afzaal Hussain27 years old, on August 1. He is also a prime suspect in the murders of Naeem Hussain, 25, who was killed on August 5 after attending funerals for two other victims, and Mohammad Ahmadi. , 62 years old, who was shot dead. November outside a market, he was active with his brother.

In an interview with New York TimesAhmad Assed, the president of the city’s largest mosque, said authorities told him the suspect was a Sunni Muslim who might have targeted his victim because he was angry over his daughter. I am married to a Shia Muslim. However, police have yet to reveal a motive in the series of murders that devastated New Mexico’s largest city.

Records obtained by The Daily Beast show Syed, his wife and son were previously accused of assaulting his daughter’s then-boyfriend – who could now be her husband, public records shows – as he sat in his car in 2017. Syed also has a history of domestic violence allegations and assaulting his wife and children, from 2018 onwards.

In December 2017, Syed was arrested after he assaulted and beat Iftikhar Amir, then-boyfriend of Lubna’s daughter. (Property records recital that Lubna Syed and Iftikhar Hussain Am Jan mortgaged a home in Albuquerque in November 2021. They are also listed as current owners of the property for tax year 2022 on the Bernalillo County Assessor’s website. )

Iftikhar told police he was sitting in Lubna’s car when three of her family members opened the car door, pulled him out of the car and started punching and kicking him. Iftikhar identified the attackers as Lubna’s father, brother and mother. He told police that Lubna’s family attacked him because they “didn’t want her to have a relationship with him.” [him]. The beating left Iftikhar with a bleeding nose, bruised face and scratched body, and he was taken to the hospital in an ambulance, according to a police report obtained by The Daily Beast.

Muhammad was charged, but the case against him was dropped.

The following year, Muhammad Syed was once again under the attention of the police after a domestic violence incident. In May 2018, Syed and his wife Bibi began arguing in a car on their way to an appointment at the New Mexico Department of Human Services, according to an arrest report obtained by The Daily Beast. Bibi told the police that this was her first time driving, and that Muhammad had become angry at the mistakes she had made. He started screaming and shouting that she was a bad driver, then grabbed her by the hair and threw her out of the car, Bibi told police. She was forced to walk for two hours to get the rest of the way to the Human Services building, according to her statement.

Muhammad arrived at Human Services about an hour and a half before Bibi, according to witnesses interviewed by police. Bibi told the angry Muhammad police that she had taken too long to get to her appointment and had thrown her to the ground. Staff members heard Bibi scream in distress from the building’s lobby, and then Erica Montoya, an employee who helped process the couple’s documents, spotted Bibi lying on the floor, shouting “My husband! My husband!” with a large lock of hair missing from his scalp, Muhammad told police Bibi slapped him in the face in their car, and shoved and kicked him at the office.

Finally, the battery charges against Muhammad were dropped.

Seven months later, Muhammad’s son, Maiwand, called the police after locking himself in the family bathroom, saying his father had been outside hitting his mother, Bibi, with a large metal spoon. He told police that Muhammad attacked his mother while his sister, Lubna, tried to restrain him, and then Muhammad hit Maiwand in the head. When the police arrived, they found the back of Maiwand’s head covered in blood. He told police that Muhammed regularly beat him and his mother, Bibi. However, when Maiwand translated for his mother, who did not speak English, he told the police that she denied any violence had occurred and told him not to report anything to the police. Muhammad Syed was arrested for aggravated battery charge, but the case against him was later dropped.

Meanwhile, records show Syed was arrested in February 2020 for allegedly resisting, evading, or obstructing an officer (refusing to stop the vehicle) and disobeying traffic/air control devices obey the signs.

In a police report, the arresting officer said he pursued Syed after observing his maroon Honda running a red light at a four-way intersection.

According to the report, police turned on the emergency lights of his team’s car and followed Syed’s car for about four blocks and into the parking lot of an apartment complex. Syed “did not get out of the vehicle” after the officer ordered him to do so via the PA system, the document said.

Police then handcuffed Syed and put him in the back of a patrol car, and an interpreter was called in to explain to Syed why he was arrested. It was reported that Syed’s son was also brought in to translate for him, as he only spoke Pashto.

“I asked Muhammad to step out of the car and ask if he would cooperate and sign the report,” the officer noted in the report. “Muhammad then claimed that I was a ‘good man’ and that my sergeant was a ‘bastard’.”

“Muhammad’s son asked him if he would comply or if he wanted to go to jail,” the officer continued. “Muhammad’s son tried to explain to him but Muhammad only raised his voice and got more angry.”

The son, reportedly, said his father “wanted to go to jail,” so Syed was taken to the Bernalillo County Jail and charged.

Source link


News5s: Update the world's latest breaking news online of the day, breaking news, politics, society today, international mainstream news .Updated news 24/7: Entertainment, the World everyday world. Hot news, images, video clips that are updated quickly and reliably

Related Articles

Back to top button